Best prom dress colors for skin tones
Many people want to look their best at prom, so they consider a look that will pair well with their natural features, like their skin tone.
What colors look good on me?
To choose the prom dress that’s right for you, consider your skin tone:
- Any bright jewel tone or pastel color will complement dark skin tones and make a dark complexion pop. Rich shades, like gold and copper, also work well with deep skin tones. Colors that work best include ruby and amethyst.
- Stay away from shades of brown and black, as these can completely wash out dark skin tones. Other colors like blues, silvers, and grays should be avoided, as cool colors appear harsher on dark skin. Even neutrals like gray can make dark skin look fatigued, so stick to colors that pop.
- Jewel colors compliment medium skin tones and bring out skin’s warm undertones. Anything in the blue or green family looks great on medium skin, specifically emerald and turquoise. Other jewel colors for medium skin tones include ruby, sapphire, and amethyst.
- It’s best to stay away from shades of brown, beige, and orange, as these colors can wipe out your complexion. Also avoid wearing pastels, as these colors tend to bring out gray undertones in your skin.
- Olive skin tones have it made and can wear almost any color. Bright shades of pink and coral look best on this skin tone, as these hues pick up on the subtle hints of red in olive skin. If you’re looking to bring out the brown undertones of olive skin, wear any shade of green. Shades of orange and vibrant reds also compliment olive skin complexions.
- Be careful about wearing neutral colors like beige or tan. These colors don’t work as well as vibrant colors and can make the skin appear dull.
Warm Light Skin:
- If you fall into the warm undertone fair skin category (red or blonde hair, hint of rosiness in the cheeks) opt for earthy tones, like browns and greens. Neutral colors like beige, navy, and gray will also work well with warm, fair skin.
- Stay away from brightly colored garments, particularly neon colors. It’s also a good idea to stay away from drastic colors like black and white. Black can look too harsh on fair skin and white can wash fair skin out.
Cool Light Skin:
- If you fall into the cool undertone fair skin category (dark hair, no color in the cheeks) opt for shades of red and pink. Peachy hues work best, but jewel tones also work well with fair skin.
- Avoid metallic colors as they can wash out fair skin. If you’re set on metallic, opt for gold over silver. Pale shades of yellow and purple can wash out the skin, so steer clear of these colors.
What color prom dress looks good on pale skin?
If your pale skin has warm undertones, opt for dresses in earthy tones like tan, beige, brown, and green. Neutrals also work, including colors like navy and gray.
If your pale skin has cool undertones, wear silver or pastel hues of your favorite color. These lighter hues help compliment your skin tone without washing you out.
Pale skin tones should steer clear of stark colors like red, black, or white.