What are the Most Popular Prom Dress and Gown Colors?
While your options are virtually endless when it comes to prom dress colors, there are certain hues that have remained tried and true. These are the most popular prom dress colors:
- Blue – Because it comes in so many different hues, blue looks great on everyone. The colors versatility is what makes it so popular. Whether you’re looking for a modern, classic, or vintage look, you can find a blue dress that fits your vibe.
- Red – Red is a sultry, sexy color that also provides a look of sophistication. This color works for a variety of skin tones, making it another popular color for prom.
- White – While this color is typically associated with a wedding, many girls choose to wear it for their prom. It’s an easily accessorized color that pairs wonderfully with rich skin tones. White is also a common color on the red carpet and therefore highly coveted by teens across America.
- Black – Black is a popular dress color for prom because of its ability to help hide flaws. Black fabric can make your figure appear slimmer and it’s an easy color to accessorize.
- Pastels – These delicate, feminine hues have becoming increasingly popular. Whether they make up the entire dress or they’re featured in a motif or pattern, pastel colors create a fun and flirty look for prom.
- Jewel Tones – These dark, romantic colors look stunning on a variety of skin tones, making them extremely popular for prom. Burgundy, emerald, navy, and deep purple are very common jewel tones for prom dresses.
- Neutrals – From champagne to eggshell and blush, neutral hues are very popular colors for prom. If you’re looking for a neutral prom dress, it’s important to choose a shade that compliments your skin tone.
- Metallics – Shining, shimmering prom dresses have always been popular. Prom is a time to stand out, so many people seek dresses made with fabrics that offer a sheen or dresses that feature a lot of embellishments and bead work.
What color should my prom dress be?
There is no right or wrong answer to this question - your prom dress should be any color that you want it to be! If you’re unsure where to start, consider all the colors you enjoy. Are you a fan of cool colors or do you vibe more with warm tones? If you can’t decide on a color, consider searching for a pattern that features all of the colors enjoy. Prom dresses are available in such a variety of colors and designs, it’s easy to find a look that’s right for you.
What are prom colors?
Prom colors can be anything you want them to be. Choosing a dress for prom is all about your personal style, so you can virtually wear any color or combination of colors that you like!
How do you wear a plain black dress?
Black has become a very popular option for prom. It’s a color that looks great on everyone and helps to give you a slimmer appearance. If you’re wearing a plain black dress to prom, it’s important to accessorize! When choosing jewelry, look for statement pieces in bold colors or metallics. If you’re going to wear jewelry, choose two pieces. Over-accessorizing can quickly cause chaos in your black prom dress. To avoid this problem, choose two pieces of jewelry, like earrings and a necklace or a bracelet and a ring. To keep your look cohesive, match your shoes and purse with the accessories that you’re wearing.
Can you wear a black dress to prom?
You can’t go wrong with a black dress! Thanks to stars like Audrey Hepburn and Carrie Bradshaw, the “little black dress” has become a staple in formal attire. It’s one of the most popular colors for prom dresses and can be accessorized with pops of color, metallics, or neutral elements. Black dresses never go out of style and can easily be worn again to a variety of occasions.
Best prom dress colors for skin tones/hair color
Many people want to look their best at prom, so they consider a look that will pair well with their natural features, like their skin tone and hair color.
What colors look good on me?
To choose the prom dress that’s right for you, consider your skin tone:
- Any bright jewel tone or pastel color will complement dark skin tones and make a dark complexion pop. Rich shades, like gold and copper, also work well with deep skin tones. Colors that work best include ruby and amethyst.
- Stay away from shades of brown and black, as these can completely wash out dark skin tones. Other colors like blues, silvers, and grays should be avoided, as cool colors appear harsher on dark skin. Even neutrals like gray can make dark skin look fatigued, so stick to colors that pop.
- Jewel colors compliment medium skin tones and bring out skin’s warm undertones. Anything in the blue or green family looks great on medium skin, specifically emerald and turquoise. Other jewel colors for medium skin tones include ruby, sapphire, and amethyst.
- It’s best to stay away from shades of brown, beige, and orange, as these colors can wipe out your complexion. Also avoid wearing pastels, as these colors tend to bring out gray undertones in your skin.
- Olive skin tones have it made and can wear almost any color. Bright shades of pink and coral look best on this skin tone, as these hues pick up on the subtle hints of red in olive skin. If you’re looking to bring out the brown undertones of olive skin, wear any shade of green. Shades of orange and vibrant reds also compliment olive skin complexions.
- Be careful about wearing neutral colors like beige or tan. These colors don’t work as well as vibrant colors and can make the skin appear dull.
Warm Light Skin:
- If you fall into the warm undertone fair skin category (red or blonde hair, hint of rosiness in the cheeks) opt for earthy tones, like browns and greens. Neutral colors like beige, navy, and gray will also work well with warm, fair skin.
- Stay away from brightly colored garments, particularly neon colors. It’s also a good idea to stay away from drastic colors like black and white. Black can look too harsh on fair skin and white can wash fair skin out.
Cool Light Skin:
- If you fall into the cool undertone fair skin category (dark hair, no color in the cheeks) opt for shades of red and pink. Peachy hues work best, but jewel tones also work well with fair skin.
- Avoid metallic colors as they can wash out fair skin. If you’re set on metallic, opt for gold over silver. Pale shades of yellow and purple can wash out the skin, so steer clear of these colors.
What colors look good on brunettes?
Brunettes look great in a multitude of colors, but if your hair is dark, you look best in bright colors. Think jewel tones like turquoise, magenta, or chartreuse. White is another color that looks stunning on brunettes. Metallics and certain neutrals, like beige, will also look great on brunettes.
For those with blonde hair, pastel colors like lavender and mint work well. If your blonde is a warm tone, opt for a bright color like red, orange, or purple.
Redheads look stunning in emerald tones as well as purples, blues, and metallic silver. Avoid pink and red hues, as they tend to wash you out.
All in all, regardless of your hair color, it’s about wearing a color that makes you feel confident.
What color prom dress looks good on pale skin?
If your pale skin has warm undertones, opt for dresses in earthy tones like tan, beige, brown, and green. Neutrals also work, including colors like navy and gray.
If your pale skin has cool undertones, wear silver or pastel hues of your favorite color. These lighter hues help compliment your skin tone without washing you out.
Pale skin tones should steer clear of stark colors like red, black, or white.